Pages

Monday, April 8, 2024

Shift Dress with Peter Pan Collar

 Pattern: Shift Dress from Gertie Sews Vintage Casual

Fabric: Synthetic suiting from my stash. Cotton for the collar.

Pattern review: The pattern is a great classic shift. It was easy to follow and modify. I made some modifications. My fabric was a lighter weight than required to maintain my dignity in certain light. I elected to line the entire dress instead of the facing in the pattern. This was the first pattern that I made from the book when I had it checked out from my local library. I bought the book immediately following.

Project review: I'm pleased with the project as a whole. I love a shift dress as a wardrobe staple. The Peter Pan collar gets appropriate positive attention. I absolutely love the technique of laying the lining in the fabric and sewing them as though it's one solid piece of cloth. It gives the feel of a special occasion dress when worn. I think this was technique that motivated me to stop trying to duplicate fast fashion in my home sewing and instead focus on creating a high quality garment that might usually be outside of my price range. Fit and sewing technique are the keys.

Skills learned: darts, lining

No comments:

Post a Comment

Perfect Pencil

  I absolutely love my new pencil skirt. We've already established that I love a capsule, especially one that works professionally. An i...