Pages

Monday, April 29, 2024

Athleisure 2021



I did not expect 2021 to start with an athleisure challenge. The Oh Sew Active Challenge from the National Sewing Circle and Mood Fabrics caught my attention. Athleisure sewing has not ever been a draw for me. I certainly wear my fair share of athleisure but sewing it seems a bit intimidating. I don't have a serger. I have a basic machine with basic stitches. Elastic has frequently bested me. All this adds up to a my enjoying structured clothing with buttons & zippers.

After considering many of the projects, I was reminded of a couple of weeks in the fall searching for camo bottoms. I'd hoped for maybe a pair of leggings or something that would fill a hole in my wardrobe. No such luck. This was my opportunity to make something that I really wanted and needed in my wardrobe. Intentional and purposeful sewing feels like turning a corner in my hobby.

I was challenged in finding the perfect camo with spandex content for leggings. While searching jersey fabrics for another project, I stumbled upon the perfect camo. Opaque enough to cover my modesty. This made me think of some of the other options in the challenge. Joggers weren't originally on my list but there wasn't any elastic in that supply list and they had pockets. The leggings didn't have pockets. The Brya Pants were a clearly the project for me. I decided to give it a go.

The result is better than I hoped. They've become my go-to comfortable clothes. They are super versatile. Best of all, they whipped up in an afternoon. Here's my details:

Pattern: Mood's The Brya Pants

Fabric: cotton jersey.

Process: The pattern calls for stretch thread and a stretch stitch if it is not sewn on a serger. I considered this. I promptly decided this was optional. Instead I selected a cotton thread and seamed it all with a zig zag stitch. While I am not a huge fan of elastic, a little extra security around the waist band was a desire. A knit drawstring was put in place by putting button holes inside the facing. This was a great addition. I'm glad I did it. I have a bit of a high waist. The drawstring allows me to secure the pants a little higher at my natural waist instead of at the top of my hips. This is where the jersey band has them rest. Big win for me.

Project review: The pattern was easy to follow and construct. The pattern is drafted to be very roomie. I fell between sizes and could have easily sized down. I wish I would have put the button holes on the outside of the waist band instead of the inside. The drawstring pattern is a chevron and cutie patootie. The pockets were very easy to place. The zig zag stitch with regular thread worked just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Perfect Pencil

  I absolutely love my new pencil skirt. We've already established that I love a capsule, especially one that works professionally. An i...