Pages

Monday, April 22, 2024

First Time Formal Tips




Last January my girl came home from school and announced that she wanted to make her own prom dress. This was quite the declaration from a young lady who previously completed a pair of leggings, some pillows, and scrunchies for her friends.

My formal sewing experience is decades past. I have current sewing experience includes casual daily wear. I thought that provided the right parameters and moderate expectations, we could make something. We needed to manage the project mindfully.

Our goals were:

1. Start early. We needed enough time to do it two or three times. Let’s face it. Tearing out seams takes way longer than sewing them together. I needed enough time to tear out some seams.

2. Select a simple classic design that highlights her. She needed to wear the dress rather than the other way around. But the dress also needed to be something she’d be proud to wear to prom. It couldn’t be so simple that it would be more appropriate for church than prom.

3. Be mindful of techniques. We knew that we were competent at inserting zippers, adding buttons & holes, and setting darts.

4. Select a fabric for success. For me, this meant forgiving. I needed to know that any seam ripping could be an option without ruining that fabric piece. I also wanted something that wouldn’t show every imperfection. I find that thin and shiny fabrics show every fabric pull or mis-stitch. Right or wrong, I marked shiny thin fabric off limits.

We started with a trip to the local fabric store to peruse the patterns. The first trip was a bit overwhelming. We elected to take photos of the pattern options. She spent a week with all the choices. I’m sure consulting friends. Ultimately, she selected two patterns.

Patterns: Both patterns were Simplicity: 8598 AA and 8597 AA. The patterns provided separates for formal attire. 8598 provided 4 top options. 8597 provided 4 bottom options. I saw this as our first major win. My girl is tall and thin. She’s never been able to wear a one piece bathing suit because the proportions just don’t work. The separates will save us from having to lengthen the torso or significantly take in any pattern.

Fabric: The fabric selected was a thick sateen. It had stretch which supported a great fit and large monochrome flowers which we hoped would hide any potential imperfections.

Process: After spending an afternoon cutting out the pattern pieces and then dress pieces, she was about over the project. This is when I learned that when she said ‘she wanted to make a prom dress’, she really meant that I would make a prom dress. I was happy to take on the challenge. She could focus on her senior year, sports, and wrapping up this chapter. I also felt prepared because of all the parameters I put in place for her benefit. Had I thought this project was really my project, I might have stressed myself out with an overly ambitious project.

Project review: The construction of the top and skirt were both simple. The top fastened with buttons. I aligned the buttons while she was wearing the top instead of according to the pattern markings. When laid flat the buttons looked a little misaligned. I placed the bottom buttons about 1/2 inch more snug than the pattern marked. But when she’s wearing the top, they helped to fit the top to her body better than any zipper would have been able to do. This felt like an opportunity to avoid complex alterations. I’m not sure that they recommend this, though.

I loved sharing this time with her throughout the winter/spring. The frequent fittings required that we regularly made time to come together. My girl sewed some seams so she could legitimately claim that she helped make the dress. It was a great bonding experience during what is a hectic time.

The disappointment of the project: COVID-19 canceled prom. After all the work and build up, it was incredibly difficult to lose the opportunity to show it off at the big dance. Not to be discouraged, we all donned our fanciest duds and held a family prom in our living room.

I think the early goals and defined expectations made project both enjoyable and successful. We achieved formal level.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Perfect Pencil

  I absolutely love my new pencil skirt. We've already established that I love a capsule, especially one that works professionally. An i...